All the Beautiful people

A little insight into my world


`I See everyone gearing up for Thanksgiving and I though I might

take this opportunity to explain briefly why you see no Thanksgiving mani or words of excitement over Turkey and holiday festivities.
I do not celebrate Thanksgiving. As a Native Woman this is a day of mourning for me as well as my people. I am not going to pull out my soapbox, I promise.

I do not judge or force my views on my fellow human, so please do not feel the need to tiptoe around the subject with me, there is no need. I will spend tomorrow mourning the genocide of Native American’s past, present and future. This is my belief and I only ask that you respect that as I respect yours.
I will not go any further in detail as I don’t want to ruin the celebratory mood for my dear friends.
I am happy to share information and answer questions for anyone, but please email me as I do not want this to be a public spectacle.
I leave you all with this prayer from my tribe:
Oh, Great Spirit

Whose voice I hear in the winds,
And whose breath gives life to all the world,
hear me, I am small and weak,
I need your strength and wisdom.
Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold
the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have
made and my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may understand the things
you have taught my people.
Let me learn the lessons you have
hidden in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother,
but to fight my greatest enemy - myself.
Make me always ready to come to you
with clean hands and straight eyes.
So when life fades, as the fading sunset,
my Spirit may greet you without shame.





7 comments:

  1. i've gone off on many a rant about all aspects of thanksgiving not being accurately portrayed in schools. among other things - there's a lot that doesn't make it to the history books. :(

    lovely prayer and i so much appreciate and respect your honest thoughts on the day.

    {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful prayer. Thank you for posting that. It's very moving. I'm so sorry that this government has treated Native Americans so horribly. I don't know many facts but I do know some. Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane- I am a bit overly sensitive about the subject after many years of MY children bringing home horrific coloring pages of "Pilgrims and Red Indians" Smiling and not a single fact being given. Many a frustrated meeting with teachers, principles and school councils over this subject.

    Lucy- Thank You Lovie. I am full of facts and links to facts if you ever want them. I do warn that they are brutal and not sugar coated at all.
    I do not want anyone to feel guilt or sorrow over something that they did not themself do. I only want the truth to be added to History based on documented fact and people to truly see what is still going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boyfriend and I were just having a discussion about genocide on Monday. We both have trouble with the origins of the holiday. The best I can do is to consider it a day off to see friends and family. Thank you for speaking your thoughts on this.

    Lots of love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post. As far as I know,the Canadian thanksgiving(held in October) has less to do with pilgrims and more to do with the celebration of the harvesting season. That said,I fully stand behind you in your day of mourning.My ancestors were escaped slaves who fled to Canada both during and after the Civil war.Had it not been for the endless support of the Native Canadians,my ancestors,who were ill-equipped to survive the cold climate,would not have survived the winter-let alone 6 generations. I will always be grateful for the warm welcome they extended toward my ancestors.We are still living,and thriving as a community because of their selfless actions. They have left behind an amazing legacy for everyone who follows in their footsteps. Thank you for sharing what is in your heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thank you for this post. I prefer to mark the day simply as a day to reflect on the good things in my life. That said, I have never been unafraid to point out the origins of the day and the terrible crimes committed. Because ignorance of history makes me angry and resentful.
    (I'm super fun at parties, BTW.)

    Please know that each day, I am grateful to know you and the other amazing ladies in our nail polish community. Without you, the world is a colder and lonelier place.
    Be well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diana- Thank You! ((hugs))

    Pinkginger- What an amazing family history! I wonder if they escaped into Blackfoot country? The larger half of the Blackfeet are in Canada.

    ML- I would invite you to all my parties! I treasure your friendship and thank you for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I love hearing from you all! XOXO